Discover this iconic city with the most incisive and entertaining travel guide on the market. You can take this handy, pocket-sized book out with you anywhere, any time. Whether you plan to visit Alcatraz, cycle across Golden Gate Bridge or go taco-tasting in The Mission, Pocket Rough Guide San Francisco will show you the ideal places to sleep, eat, drink, shop and visit along the way.
- Perfect for short trips - compact and concise, with all the practical info you'll need for a few days' stay.
- Free pull-out map, as well as full-colour maps throughout - navigate The Mission's backstreets or explore densely built Downtown without needing to get online.
- Things not to miss - Rough Guides' rundown of San Francisco's unmissable sights and experiences.
- Itineraries - carefully planned days to help you organize your visit.
- Independent, trusted reviews written with Rough Guides' trademark blend of humour, honesty and insight, with options to suit every budget.
- Stunning images - a rich collection of inspiring colour photography.
- Detailed city coverage - whether visiting the big sights or venturing off the tourist trail, this travel guide has in-depth practical advice for every step of the way. Chapters cover each neighbourhood in depth, with all the sights and the best of the nearby shops, cafes, restaurants, bars and clubs.
Areas covered include: Downtown; Embarcadero; Chinatown; Fisherman's Wharf; Pacific Heights; Presidio; North Beach; South of Market; Civic Center; Haight-Ahsbury; The Mission; The Castro; Golden Gate Park; Oakland; Berkeley.
Attractions include: Alcatraz; Coit Tower; Lombard Street; Golden Gate Bridge; Pier 39; Cable Car Museum and Powerhouse; San Francisco Museum of Modern Art; Mission Dolores; Asian Art Museum; Exploratorium.
- Day-trips - venture further afield to Marin Headlands, Pont Reyes National Seashore, Sonoma and Napa Valley.
- Accommodation - our unbiased selection of the top places to stay, to suit every budget.
- Essentials - crucial pre-departure practical information including getting there, local transport, LGBT information, festivals and events, and more.
- Background information - an easy-to-use chronology.
Make the Most of Your Time on Earth with Pocket Rough Guide San Francisco.